• Click on any thumbnail photo to open a larger on-screen image.
Workshop manuals for the SD1 in Australia tended to comprise UK technical data, and an Australian supplement. This 3 volume set comprises:
• Repair Operation Manual The New Rover 3500
(Publication Part No. AKM 3616), copyright British Leyland UK Limited 1976
• Repair Operation Manual Rover 3500 – 2300, 2600 Supplement
(Publication Part No. AKM 3616/1) (no copyright information)
• Repair Operation Manual Rover 3500 – Australian Supplement
(Publication Part No. AKM 4331), copyright Leyland Corporation of Australia Limited 1976, and British Leyland UK Limited 1978.
The first 5 pages of this publication are provided below as a Download.
• Copyright BL Cars Limited 1978, the next iteration of the workshop manual was simply titled Rover 3500 2600 2300 and draws together the 6 cylinder and V8 engined vehicles into one softcover book. The publication part number is AKM 3616A. This copy is well worn but when new, the cover was a rich brown colour. The target audience for this workshop manual appears to be UK only. An Australian supplement was available as a separate manual.
• Publication AKM3616B, titled Rover 2300 2600 3500 Copyright BL Cars Limited, 1981 including supplement AKM36162, BL Cars Limited, 1980. It includes a full section, including diagnostic charts, on the North American Specification EFi system. The publication date precedes the Series 2 face-lift, yet a Series 2 car is pictured on the cover. The publication contains no Series 2 infomation.
• Publication Part No. AKM 5343 was applied to manuals covering Series 2 vehicles produced 1982 onwards. The hardcover manual was simply titled Rover Repair Manual whilst the softcover version was titled Rover 3500SE SD1 Workshop Manual 82 onwards. Both volumes are copyright Austin Rover Group Limited 1983.
These manuals cover the 4 cylinder 2000, 6 cylinder 2300 and 2600, and the V8 with either carburetters or fuel injection. These manuals are relevant to Australian market vehicles, although Australia is not specifically mentioned as a target audience.
• Haynes manual 365 titled Rover 3500 V8 was produced by the Haynes Publishing Group (UK) between 1979 and 1992.
The Haynes manuals were updated from time to time and variously covered the Rover 3500, 3500SE, V8S, Vanden Plas, Vitesse and Vanden Plas EFi.
Whilst the target audience appears to be the UK market, these manuals contain elements that are relevant to Australian market vehicles.
Series 1 vehicles are covered in the manual dated ‘1976 to 1979’.
Series 2 vehicles are included in the manuals dated ‘1976 to 1984’ and ‘1976 to 1987’ and contained in ‘Chapter 13 Supplement;
Revisions and information on later models’.
• Autodata Rover 2000 2300 2600 3500 Autodata Car Manual
• Dated October 1977, this volume is titled New Rover 2300,2600 and 3500 Parts Catalogue (Publication Part No. RTC 9175B), copyright Parts and Accessories Jaguar and Rover Triumph 1977.
Australian market vehicles appeared here in late 1978 and so it is not surprising that this catalogue does not specifically identify parts relating to the Australian market vehicles. However, sections of the catalogue that relate to the engine for Sweden appear to be similar to the engine parts used on the Australian market vehicles. These include: Zenith/Stromberg 175 CD carburetters, the evaporative emission system, air cleaners, air temperature control system, exhaust manifolds, and the system of air injection into the cylinder heads including the air pump.
Rover SD1 Australian Dealer Service Books
• Click on to the thumbnails to view larger on-screen images.
JRA Rover Spare Parts Quick Reference Guide & Smash Repair Manual 1987
• Rover SD1 | Rover SD1 Fuel Injection | Rover 3500SE | Rover Vanden Plas |
Rover Quintet | Rover 416i | Rover 825
• Issued circa 1987.
• Download | JRA Rover Parts Guide 1987 PDF
• Download | JRA Rover Smash Repair Guide 1987 PDF