• Click on to any thumbnail image to open larger on-screen images.
South Australia | Rover 3500 SD1 Rally Car
With thanks to Jai Raymond for the use of the images and video clips.
Being campaigned in South Australia:
New parts, coil overs & number plates being installed in readiness for the 2013 Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally, held over the weekend of 22 & 23 June 2013:
• Sunday 23 June 2013:
• Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally
• 1979 Rover 3500 SD1 makes it to the Podium
Driver Jai Raymond & Co-Driver Jen Mathwin-Raymond achieved 3rd Place in the 2013 Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally.
• Above (1): Wickhams Hill, S.A., 22/6/2013; Above (2): Nairne, S.A., 22/6/2013.
In car video clips of Jai’s Rover SD1 3500 from 2011:
Climbing Willunga Hill, South Australia:
Cudlee Creek Rally Stage, South Australia:
Nairne Rally Stage, South Australia, 190kph in 4th gear:
Norton Summit Rally Stage, South Australia:
Rally Rebirth Magazine Article
With acknowledgement to NRMA Publishing – Australian Classic Car Magazine
& Jai Raymond.
The article appeared in the Australian Classic Car 2012 Yearbook.
• Click to read:
1979 Rover 3500 SD1 Rally Rebirth Australian Classic Car magazine PDF
‘The Specs’ published on page 26 of the ‘Rally Rebirth’ article appear to be for the previous model 1976 Rover 3500 P6B. The Specs for a standard 1979 Rover 3500 SD1, as detailed in the Leyland Australia Sales Brochure dated 1 December 1978 are:
Power DIN: 102 kW @ 5,000 rpm
Torque: 245 Nm @3,000 rpm
Front – Independent Macpherson strut with lower link.
Rear – Torque tube type live axle with coil springs and combined telescopic damper/ride levelling units. Fore and aft location by trailing arms and transverse location by Watt’s linkage.
Brakes: Front discs and rear self-adjusting drums
Wheelbase: 2,815 mm
Length: 4,698 mm
Height: 1,354 mm
Weight: 1,915 kg
Victoria | 1984 Rover 3500 SE Racing Car
With thanks to Graham McGilvray for permission to use the images.
The first two images show the car being campaigned at Sandown Raceway; the next three images are at the Rob Roy Hill Climb, Victoria.
Tasmania | 1979 Rover 3500 SD1 Improved Production Racing Car
Uprated to 4600 full race engine
With thanks to Peter & Barb E. for permission to use the images.
Sh*tbox Rally 2015 | Canberra, Australian Capital Territory to Townsville,
Queensland, 9 to 15 May, 2015
• Photos taken at the rally start in Canberra, provided by Chris Forsey
• About the Rally: Sh*tbox Rally is not a race, rather a challenge to achieve the unthinkable; to drive cars worth $1,000 across Australia via some of its most arduous roads, all in the name of charity. The event is officially endorsed and supported by the Cancer Council.
• For full rally information, click here | Sh*tbox Rally website